This is a question one of my directs recently asked of me. Having never really comtemplated the question before, I found it a bit hard to answer and quite difficult to answer directly.
What I came up with really came down to, "make sure you're doing the right things and trust your direct to let you know if they need anything from you."
- Perform weekly O3's and let the direct lead the conversation. Build trust. Build a good relationship.
- Track results. Set measurable and timely goals and track results towards those goals.
My explanation was that:
- if he has a good relationship witht he direct and goals are being met, then he must be providing his directs what they need
- if he has a good relationship witht he direct and goals are not being met then he should trust his directs to be honest when asked about what they need to achive the goals.
- if he doesn't have a good relationship with his directs, he is not providing them what they need.
What thoughts to you have?