Forums

Okay, me again. I've got a great candiate for a director position. Her initial interview was very good, her references are good and her profile test (we give to all candidates) was a strong match to the job.
Here's the problem -- It's been challenging to schedule a 2nd interview with her and sometimes takes 24+ hours to hear back from her (email and phone). She is still working and traveling for her current employer. I'm unsure how concerned I should be about these challenges... what does this indicate about her and her future responsiveness? Or should I not worry about it since I know her situation with her current job? I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences anyone else has had with this type of situation.
Thanks!

steveaz26's picture

I'd view it as a cautionary piece of information but not a show stopper. My general rule is to get back to a potential employer within 24 hours IF the candidate is truly interested. It wasn't long ago that I was trying to get a new job (my current one) that I was truly interested in. Once the process started, I made sure I could receive all messages and get back to my potential employer within 24 hours. Knowing that's it's a potential concern, it could be a variety of reasons including needing to sell it to her. You still have time to make final decision and a 2nd interview. Would be a very good idea for the 2nd (if it happens) to be with a 2 or more people that haven't interviewed her before. Good luck!

-R26

Dani Martin's picture

Thanks for the input!

Mark's picture

Dani-

Fight to get her. All the best people are hard to schedule. She's busy... that's good.

While fighting, tell her what you're thinking, and be candid: "If the difficulty of scheduling a second interview is not just your dedication, but you're politely avoiding the next step, I can totally respect that, and would just appreciate your saying so. That kind of candor would be impressive, and I'd leave you alone while also gaining respect for you. If it's not that, I sure hope you don't mind that I keep trying."

If she just doesn't return your calls, that's different. Because she's good, try harder than with others, but at some point, leave her a voicemail saying, "So sorry we haven't been able to get together. I'll take your lack of response as a lack of interest right now, and leave you alone. Best wishes with your present role or wherever your career takes you. You're gifted and I'm glad our paths crossed, however briefly."

If you do get a second with her, don't go easy on her, either. Good hiring always sets a high bar.

Good luck!

Mark

Dani Martin's picture

Thanks, Mark. After reading your post I'm a little embarrassed to tell you what I did because I could have done it better.
After leaving 2 voicemails to schedule a final meeting and waiting 3 days to hear from this candidate, I made the offer to another (also very good!) candidate on Friday and am waiting to hear her response.
Dang.

Mark's picture

Dani-

Sounds okay to me! Hope you get the one you offered. Don't let her go 3 days at a time without a call/email from you, asking if she has questions, offering to talk, and reiterating your interest.

AND... the big mistake would be letting the other one get away. Keep in touch with her. You never know what will happen with those whom you already have. Far better to fill a position WITHOUT an interview 6 months from now... Build your bench!!!

Mark