Licensee Badge
Submitted by rqc on
in

Forums

I'm about 1/2 way through this book. It's informative but I have a question. He encourages multi-page resumes. That seems to fly in the face of Your Resume Stinks podcast.

Is this a difference between what a recruiter expects (one page/plain) vs. what a manager/HR department expects to receive (multi-page/more formatted)? I was surprised to see him recommending 4-5 page resumes.

pmoriarty's picture
Training Badge

This question has come up before. Mark's response is that Lucht's advice here is geared for those at the senior executive level (VP, SVP, EVP, or C-level) and unless you are shooting for that level, he continues to re-emphasize sticking with a single page.

Mark's picture
Admin Role Badge

Paul's got it right. Thank you sir.

We and Lucht actually agree in principle. He simply recommends incredible detail.

Mark

rqc's picture
Licensee Badge

Hmm... Sounds like I need to add a multi-page version to my resume versions. Thanks.

jwyckoff's picture

[quote="rqc"]Hmm... Sounds like I need to add a multi-page version to my resume versions. Thanks.[/quote]

rqc - can I assume you say that because you are looking for a VP job?

rqc's picture
Licensee Badge

Yes, I've found different companies use the VP and SVP titles differently. I'm a SVP at my current company.

HMac's picture

Connick – this touches on something I mentioned on another thread yesterday when I was so enthusiastic about Lucht’s book.

And I heartily recommend reading (or re-reading) from about page 200 (look for the section title “You’ve got one match. Don’t waste it.”) right through the sample resume Lucht provides for Sam Sage.

I’ll tell you my experience, with this disclosure: I am applying for jobs at the VP level and above, and after reading Lucht’s book, I think I’m very much his target audience.

BLUF: I had a lousy multipage resume. Using M-T recommendations, I trimmed it down to a very lean 1 page resume. Based on feedback I received from hiring managers and a very low resume-to-interview hit rate, I consulted Lucht’s book, and developed a multipage resume that’s attracting a higher response from hiring managers and recruiters.

It took LOTS of effort in two different stages (Stage1: transforming my flabby self-indulgent resume into a lean M-T 1 pager; Stage 2: applying Lucht’s insights about long copy, scannability, Quick Orientation and Thorough Convincing to my 1 pager).

So I went from 4 pages, to 1 page, to 2.5 pages! And the end result is a resume that I feel is a better representation of me, for my target market, and for the jobs I’m applying for. And I don’t think I could have gotten here without first doing the “scorched earth” approach to my original resume, using the M-T approach to squeeze out all the irrelevant stuff.

-Hugh

jhack's picture

Hugh,

Great points. I'm a huge fan of Lucht's book. Your point about the difference between the typical "flabby" multipager and the highly refined multipager is spot on.

Anyone looking to move to a more senior position [i] even if you're looking for a promotion from within[/i] should read Lucht's book.

John

rqc's picture
Licensee Badge

[quote="HMac"]It took LOTS of effort in two different stages (Stage1: transforming my flabby self-indulgent resume into a lean M-T 1 pager; Stage 2: applying Lucht’s insights about long copy, scannability, Quick Orientation and Thorough Convincing to my 1 pager).

So I went from 4 pages, to 1 page, to 2.5 pages! And the end result is a resume that I feel is a better representation of me, for my target market, and for the jobs I’m applying for. And I don’t think I could have gotten here without first doing the “scorched earth” approach to my original resume, using the M-T approach to squeeze out all the irrelevant stuff.[/quote]

Sounds exactly like the process I went through as well. Getting down to a good 1 page made me chose those items carefully and is helping me expand to a good multipage.