Hello again everyone;
After all of the feedback from the MT family and the podcasts on Calendar Management, I just completed my first Drucker Analysis. I must say that I was stunned with the findings but it provided a lot of good feedback. I just wanted to share my findings of my Drucker Analysis and solicit feedback for suggestions and if my ideas are on track.
Things I learned:
- My direct boss spends on average of 45 minutes a day (and on certain days up to 2 hours of my day) talking with me over general things and about how she wants certain reports (she changes her mind a lot)
- I spend over 2 hours on every Monday wasting time, which I feel I could definitely put to good use.
- I spend a lot of time (on average about 1 hour per direct for six directs) talking to them about their tasks and getting feedback.
- Although I schedule Fridays as a "catch up day" I find that I am not as productive as other days. I waste around 2 hours on Friday trying to find people who end up on being at work that day or just organizing my tasks.
Things I think I will do to combat these trends:
- Wasted time with manager: My instinct says to schedule block times for her to go over things or to learn how to get her to not change her mind as much but I do not think that these are possible. I may just schedule time during the day that I can set aside to proactively talk to her about what she needs instead of reacting to her feedback.
- Wasted time in Monday: schedule block periods on Mondays to set to strategic tasks. I feel that it may just be the "starting up syndrome" after having the weekend off so perhaps I can go into work a little early to try to push start my tasks.
- Spending time with directs: improve the quality of my O3's with my team. I have also decided to move my team meeting to late Monday (although it is not recommended, my manager has her team meeting with me on Tuesday morning and moving my meeting to Monday will allow me to discuss team priorities with them before I report to my boss
- Friday slack time: schedule more tasks that I can do without feedback from others. If I need assistance from others, ask them on Thursday if they will be available and schedule time directly with them.
I welcome any and all recommendations. Thanks very much!