In my one-on-ones with my technician level directs, I find myself gravitating to mainly providing coaching on annual goals and less on core job responsibilities.  Since work toward annual goals is maybe 10% of energy spent and the remaining 90% is core job (making product in a production plant), I feel like I'm missing the boat with my area of emphasis.  Am I off base?

Mark's picture
Admin Role Badge

I don't think it's an either/or situation.  Let yourself off the hook, and once they're comfortable with how you're doing it, transition to more core job stuff.


(to be clear, I assume by coaching you mean OUR coaching model.) 

mattpalmer's picture

If you're really looking to optimise the situation, you should look at the area where it will be of the most benefit.  If someone is really solid at their core job, but their annual goal work is at risk of serious failure, then it might provide more value to the company to coach that person on the skills needed to achieve their goals.

Overall, though, I agree with Mark that you're better off coaching people on *something*, even if its not the *best* thing, than not coaching at all because you're worried might not be exactly the right thing.  As a wise man once said, "Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good".