Questions and Answers on One-on-Ones
In today's show we continue our conversation on one-on-ones. In addition to a brief review (very brief -- not a substitute for listening to the previous two shows!), we review a number of questions and finer points:
- I did one, and it was extremely awkward. How long will it take to get used to them?
- In the first one, some of my folks were scared - why? In my first one, they didn't seem too open to share personal info - what can I do about that?
- My folks didn't like me taking notes. What do I do?
- I don't like taking notes - can I just chat with them?
- How do I follow up on old items?
- What do I do if someone keeps reporting that they haven't done something? I've got a forum to talk to them, but what do I say?
- How can I reduce my folks coming to me between O3s with stuff that is best covered in the O3?
- What if someone doesn't show?
- What if my team is spread across the entire continent, or one of my folks is travelling that week ... Can I do these over the phone? And if so, what should I do differently?
- 1-on-1 Key Points and Prep Form (PDF) 1-on-1 Key Points and Prep Form (PDF)
- 1-on-1 Key Points and Prep Form (DOC) 1-on-1 Key Points and Prep Form (DOC)
- Sample 1-on-1 Email Text (TXT) Sample 1-on-1 Email Text (TXT)
- One On One Slides One On One Slides
- One On One Transcripts One On One Transcripts
Members Only Manager Tools Individual License
Career Tools Individual License Interviewing Series
First Job Fundamentals