Forums

This is a forum for attendees and speakers, as well as Manager Tools followers who are interested in discussing and learning more about our exciting new event! I will be visiting the forums on a regular basis to answer your questions, provide assistance and collect your thoughts and ideas. Remember that this event was created to serve YOU, our audience, so comment at will! I look forward to hearing you all contribute!

alexdaskalow's picture

Hello Everyone,

I am Alexander Daskalow, father of two boys (2 and 7 year old)  living and working in Charlotte, NC. I was born and raised in Berlin, Germany and originally came to North Carolina to study and play Lacrosse (that is my Canada connection!) but ended up staying here for good. 

I work for Teguar Corporation. We manufacture industrial and medical computers in Taiwan and China and market them worldwide. We are a smaller organization (~30 employees) and I am proud to say that I was there from the start.

Like many others, I started listening to MT podcasts on my commute around 2007. As I have told the MT team many times, I feel like I owe a significant part of my success to their guidance. 

I am very much looking forward to meeting everyone!

Alex

ssentes's picture

Lacrosse may be slightly more imporant, but also attending the EMC and ECC hosted by our only Canadian presenter is a close second! I look foward to seeing you again, Alex!

hall.stephenk@gmail.com's picture

Hi everybody,

I'm Stephen Hall from Chattanooga, Tennessee, where I serve as an IT Infrastructure director at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee. While at BlueCross, I married my wife of now 10 years and became the proud father of two girls (8 and 7) and a boy (5).

I hold a bachelor's degree in mathematics and have always enjoyed "solving problems". Prior to entering management I finally realized that my individual ability to solve problems (as a software developer) would never come close to what could be achieved as a group. My ongoing desire to be a part of ever-bigger challenges is what has fueled me to move into management, take on additional responsibilities and move departments as I learn to coach my teams to success after success that they can (rightly so) claim as their own!

Any measure of success I've had as a manager I solely attribute to Manager Tools' superior guidance. It has been a lifesaver! I was first introduced to MT in 2011 but it wasn't until 2014 that I could put it into practice. Since then, weekly O3s and candid feedback have been my go-to staples for day-to-day management with coaching and delegation being areas I'm still working to use effectively. MT's guidance has been so helpful for me that I am actually starting this week with coaching several of my skips using Mark's book, "The Effective Manager". I am incredibly excited about what this has the potential to do for my organization and the positive impact it will have on the daily lives of those who work in my area.

When I'm not managing my team at work I enjoy my days at home filled with parenting, cooking, DIY projects and amatuer astronomy. The odd mathematics or physics problem continues to intrigue me on occasion as well.

See everyone in Dallas this October as we are challenged in the lifelong pursuit that is effective management!

-Stephen

ssentes's picture

Wow, it's a big week for you, leveraging the tool of Coaching to grow your folks! I sometimes hear from people at our public conferences that it's the trickiest tool to learn at a distance (ie. from a book or a cast) so kudos to you for not letting that stop you. If you're interested at the M Conference one of us would be happy to sit down and take a peek at an actual Coaching plan that you have on the go, add thoughts and ideas, see if we can assist!

Dan West's picture

Hi Everyone,

I’m Dan West from California. A small bit about myself -

I’ve been managing for roughly 17 years. I jumped to Apple 13 years ago to manage a small team in Hardware Engineering. Over the years, I’ve developed a reputation for 1) developing people, 2) creating technical depth within the organization and 3) improving the output/impact of the teams that I manage. A lot of my success is directly related to what I’ve learned from Mark, Mike and the rest of the MT team. Since starting at Apple with a team of ~8 it’s grown to ~550. Some of that was hiring, but the vast majority of it has been absorbing other groups.

On the personal side, my wife and I will be celebrating our 21st anniversary soon. Additionally, our daughter is in the midst of the college application process. That process is more stressful than anything I ever remember doing when I was her age. For stress relief, I play ice hockey and I’m just starting to get into golf. 

If I can be of any assistance to any of you, reach out to me directly on LinkedIn. Be sure you tell me your from the M Conference or the response will be *very* slow. I’m looking forward to meeting everyone there.

-Dan

www.linkedin.com/in/westdan

ssentes's picture

Hey Dan, looking forward to meeting you in person at the M Conference. I'll do my best to assist you in building your reputaton over at Apple, when I'm in London next week. Developing people and improving the output/impact of your teams, pretty stellar things to be known for!

cwhite's picture

Hello all-

Chris White here. Looooong time MT student. Still have the Lands End bag from Chicago Mar 2008! And, really looking forward to the M Conference.

I am a VP for a $18M Landscape Design/Build/Maintain firm near Cleveland/Akron, Ohio. I have been landscaping since 1988 and really love the industry, the people, and the nature aspect. Managing is obviously a big part of it, too.

On a personal level: Marathon Runner, Musician (guitar) and Music Lover, Browns Fan. I'm still with my high school sweetheart and together we helped two girls make it to adulthood. Two Labrador Retrievers round out our family.

See you soon!

Chris

ssentes's picture

When I read that I nearly fell off my chair laughing, I have a ton of brand-new and never-been-used bags so if you need a new old bag let me know and I'll throw it in my suitcase for you! Look forward to meeting you, Chris!

jjbeezer's picture

Howdy! My name is Justin Bethancourt, and I will be coming to the conference from Houston, TX.  I work in the oil and gas industry as an engineering supervisor and have been listening to Manager Tools guidance since 2009.  Manager Tools first hit my radar screen thanks to a weekly e-mail from the iTunes store.  When I first started listening, the traffic in Jakarta, Indoesia allowed me to get a full podcast in every time I needed to drive somewhere.  When our boys (now ages 16, 16, 16, 14) got into elementary school we felt ready to leave behind the domestic help in Indonesia and return to Houston.  Since returning state-side, the oil and gas business has taken us to North Dakota, Midland, TX, and then back to Houston.  

Without Manager Tools, I would have been lost making the transition from Engineer to Supervisor.  What I have learned has allowed me to master Results + Retention.  My hope is that the M Conference can prepare me for the next step in my career.  Look forward to meeting y'all there.

Justin

Pages