Declining an Accepted Offer
Need some help.
I work for Company A and a promoted role came up. It was suggested numerous times that I should apply for it. Overall I have coasting in my current role and I have for a number of months been searching for new positions externally.
I applied for the position and got it. I was informed on 3rd August and it was announced to the whole organisation (1,200) shortly after. I am due to start this position in mid Sept
Opportunity with Company B
Over the past few months Company B has been chasing me. Today I went for an interview. Frankly... I didn't think I had a hope in hell in being successful. It was a large panel interview with 6 VPs and it was truly a very difficult session.
That said... I was successful and I have progressed to the final stage. This is a final interview with the Global VP - but this is not until 3 weeks time. Therefore realistically... if I was offered and accepted a position... it would be at least 4 months down the pipe.
I would like to understand everyones views about my current role. I didn't tell them that I was looking elsewhere..... I didn't feel it was correct to say.... "thanks for the offer of promotion... but can I wait X days to give you an answer to see if something better comes along??"
I am now stuck in a scenario where I could burn bridges on both organisations.... both my current organisation and Company B. I don't think it will go down well with Company B if I regret an offer. What reason could I ever give for rejecting them.... financial is not a reason as we have agreed this ahead of offer stage...
So thoughts would be much appreciated.