Too many directs?
Are there any general guidelines on how many direct reports are too many?
My particular stats:
- I work in advertising (creative director)
- I've worked at my current company for about 2 years
- We got acquired by a larger company in 2011 (our biggest client)
- I have 16 direct reports today
- 6 months ago I had 8 directs
- 1.5 years ago I had no directs (just leadership role)
Needless to say, our company and creative department has expanded aggressively in the last 12 months. We have become extremely efficient. We are also becoming more and more effective (staff has doubled, but output & revenue quadrupled in past 6 months).
I'm really enjoying the new challenges. I am however starting to think I might be managing too many people. My boss + his boss (GM) strongly believe in keeping the organization as flat as possible.
Any thoughts deeply appreciated - Thanks!
PS. I'm new to the podcast and this forum (fantastic stuff!). Please let me know if I'm breaking protocol with this post in any way.