How To Run A SPOT Project Kickoff Meeting
- How do I run a project kick off meeting?
- What do I need to cover in a kick off meeting?
- What is the purpose of a kick off meeting?
This guidance describes how to run the first meeting you have with your team about a new project your team will be doing.
A manager we know got assigned a project for he and his team a couple of years ago, and he asked us to critique his email that he was sending out to announce the project, both big picture and early assignments. We knew this manager, and knew his team were collocated with him. Why, we thought, would a manager send out a LOOOOOOONG email to his team with LOTS of details about a not unimportant project?
He told us, well, that's just the way I've always done it.
Well, there's a better way. It's MUCH more effective to have a brief meeting. It's called a SPOT meeting, and even though it's yet another meeting, it's totally worth it. Here's how to run one.
- How To Run A SPOT Project Kickoff Meeting Shownotes (PDF)
- How To Run A SPOT Project Kickoff Meeting Slides (PDF)
Manager Tools Personal License
First Job Fundamentals