Coaching/Feedback Template For Presentations
This cast provides guidance on giving feedback when coaching directs on their presentation skills, AND a detailed template managers can use when doing so.
We got pretty excited recently when we recorded a cast about delegating the running of your meetings to your directs, and then being able to provide them feedback about it. You get to delegate, coach, give feedback, all while developing your directs, AND you get more bandwidth to think about the content of your meeting, rather than the process of "running" it. It literally was one of those moments when virtually every aspect of professional management came into play. If the meeting were about budgets, it might be the most perfect managerial moment EVER! [Just kidding. Carried away here – H].
Relatedly, several folks have come up to us at recent conferences and asked about HOW to coach and/or give feedback to their directs when they're trying to help them improve their presentation skills. One manager said to Mark, "okay, I get it, but it's hard for me. I'm in the meeting, and I'm listening to the content of the presentation, and THAT takes up so much of my bandwidth I can't focus on my direct's presentation skills. I'm not sure what to look for, and how to judge it. I end up just mentioning 2-3-4 things that really feel off the cuff, and not as helpful as I'd like to be.
To us, this is the perfect spot for Manager Tools. Managers want to develop their folks, and they don't know how, and we can provide some simple guidance that is still noticeably better than everyone muddling through. It's not rocket science – but it's just hard enough that most of us managers don't have the time to sit down and come up with some sort of way forward or template to use. And we see this as potentially the first of many such templates, or sort of "basic tools" to make our jobs as managers easier.
So, what do you look for when you're evaluating your directs in their presentations?
- Introducing the Manager Tools 5-By-5-By-5 Presentation Feedback Matrix
- What to Look for In Their OPENING
- What To Look For In Their BODY LANGUAGE
- What to Look For Regarding Their Purpose
- What To Look For In Their Slide Use
- What To Look For in Their Question Handling
- We Don't Evaluate Endings – Too Often They're Messy
- There's NOTHING Wrong With Changing This Template
- Done Multiple Times, You'll Have a Written Record of Improvement
- Coaching/Feedback Template for Presentations Shownotes (PDF) Coaching/Feedback Template for Presentations Shownotes (PDF)
- Coaching/Feedback Template for Presentations Slides (PDF) Coaching/Feedback Template for Presentations Slides (PDF)
- Coaching/Feedback Template for Presentations (XLS) Coaching/Feedback Template for Presentations (XLS)
Members Only Manager Tools Individual License
Career Tools Individual License Interviewing Series
First Job Fundamentals